Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strategy for Tough Levels

I was planning ahead, and it is not the first time I encounter levels where 1-hitting is impossible, not even with Death Dealer and high level CA. The Lao Xan Merchant Guard need even conservatively 18117 damage to 1-hit, and the maximum I can gather is 18048. 18117 is simply Armor + HP for that creature.

So as usual, I consider the option of staying back. The previous level requires CA 75. That has an efficiency of 1.48, which is worse than using the Potion of Fatality. That assumes that you can 1-hit when wither activates, as well as having enough defense not to get hit when wither did not activate. There's also another assumption that CA is not needed in this setup. If such a setup is possible, the efficiency would be 1.3.

I could not find a combination that has enough defense without the use of CA. The best I came up with was a setup that require CA 25. That adds a 1.0625 multiplier and the efficiency becomes 1.38. This is still better than staying back with CA 75.

That's when I thought about another possibility. What about simply going full damage, and use the shield imp 30% of the time. What's the efficiency of that? It turns out not to be such a good idea. Each imp used is about 8.3 stam. That means 30% of the time, you will not only be double hitting, but also use an imp block. That means the efficiency is 1.46. It is still slightly better than staying back with CA 75, but not as good as a defensive setup with CA25.

So why am I documenting this? Even though it is not the best setup for level 548, this is a viable strategy. If a level is so tough as to require CA 50 with wither in defensive mode, then this setup is no worse. Also, if you can get Imps at below stam cost, that will make this setup more efficient. That can be due to players selling imps below stam cost, or having a friend use Buff Master to buff the Imps.

Below table assumes 16x doubler.
It does not account for Shield Strike, Deathwish and Critical Hits. Please see updated table in my blog on Shield Strike.


Efficiency Setup
1.00 1-hit
1.06 CA-25
1.13 CA-50
1.19 CA-75
1.25 CA-100
1.25 Back-level (1-hit)
1.30 Wither 350 + Defense
1.31 CA-125
1.33 Back-level (CA-25)
1.38 CA-150
1.38 Wither 350 + CA25 + Defense
1.41 Back-level (CA-50)
1.44 CA-175
1.46 Wither 350 + Imp
1.46 Wither 350 + CA50 + Defense
1.48 Back-level (CA-75)
1.54 Wither 350 + CA75 + Defense
1.56 Back-level (CA-100)
1.64 Back-level (CA-125)
1.72 Back-level (CA-150)
1.80 Back-level (CA-175)
2.00 2-hit















































10 comments:

Unknown said...

wow...i would be too courious to see the math behind this...btw, nice work sisland.

Unknown said...

Is there a better benefit when compared to doubler x11? I'd be curious about the math there as well.

Unknown said...

I am at LVL574 and continue to 1-hit kill. That includes Lao Xan Merchant Guards from LVL548. I freely admit I may not do it efficiently, but I'm mustering up the damage. Even around the levels I'm on now, sometimes I don't even use CA. My philosophy is to maximize damage on gear, and use the lowest CA level possible. I never understood matching up the doubler level with the right CA level for maximum efficiency, but my first goal 1st goal is to 1-hit kill. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Bildor

Unknown said...

This is some really useful stuff. I assume you're using pure maths for this? I just started researching CA by analysing my hunt stats, I'm having trouble reconciling to your figures but I guess it depends which way you want to look at it. Would you consider the efficiency of 2 hitting to still be 2 with AS? And what about all the other buffs that can potentially turn a 2 hit into a 1 hit? certainly wither 350 gives 1.3 on it's own but what about combined with all the others? it's late and you may have talked about this before, I'll try to get some modelling done over the summer if I'm lucky :)

Donny said...

Wither 350 along with DW 175, SK 175, Mesmerize 175, & SA 175 will be right around 1.20 efficiency. Terrorize & Flinch may add a little bit more. Not sure.

Donny said...

Nevermind on Terrorize & flinch... they'll just make it more likely for you to one-hit to begin with or survive an attack. However, Savagery & shield strike hitting would increase efficiency. Chi strike probably not so much because most people don't have much in HP anyway. Math probably comes to about 1.15 with wither 350 DW, SK, Mes, Savage, & ShS. Basically if you have all these buffs but Helper says you need CA 100. Better off to fight new guy with defense than to stay back. Of all the buffs mentioned...SK & mesmerize are the biggest helpers in efficiency.

Donny said...

I've done the analysis. If you have wither 350 (hits 70% of time) and SA 175 - (8.75%) and DW 175 (5.25%) & Spectral Knight 175(17.5%) & Shield Strike 175(17.5%) & Assist 150(7.5% - assuming using level 150 from potion) & mesmerize 175 (17.5%) and you assume that the buff hitting will allow you to one-hit. You will one hit 85.5% of the time. That is roughly a 1.15 on Sisland's efficiency scale. If you take away ONE of the buffs that hit 17.5% of the time you one hit 83% of the time with an efficiency of 1.17 or so. So if you are lit up like a christmas tree with buffs... use a defensive setup and you will have the efficiency between CA 50 & CA 75. Better to do that than back-level.

Unknown said...

Thank you Donny, those figures match my measurements exactly :)

Donny said...

So.... I implemented this strategy at level 292. I would've needed CA 100 w/ an efficiency of 1.25 So instead i used defensive setup and had enough damage to 2-hit. I had Shield strike 175, mesmerize 175, SA 175, Assist 150, sk 175, & wither 350. I documented 20 of my kills. and 16 of them were 1-hits. Not quite 85-88% like i'd hoped. But 80% that i did record is STILL better than back-leveling or the CA 100 i'd have needed.

dr Daniel Molina said...

donny: I think 20 kills is too few for a statistical analysis.

Did you use AS there? Cause I think that AS is a nice addition to wither350 defense.

also I am looking at the wither350 naked kami strat. The rationale is avoding all 2-hitting , even the 2% miss where Imp normally blocks. Dying is 1 stam ( saving 15+16). Defiance and deep pockets and gold holder.